“The greatest missionary is the Bible in the mother tongue.
It never needs a furlough, is never considered a foreigner.”
(William Cameron Townsend)
“People who do not know the Lord ask why in the world
we waste our lives as missionaries.
They forget that they too are expending their lives …
and when the bubble has burst, they will have nothing of eternal significance
to show for the years they have wasted.”
“This is my only joy and the desire of my heart, that I may extend the borders of the kingdom of God, make known the truth, reprove sin, teach righteousness, feed the hungry souls with the Word of the Lord, lead the stray sheep into the right path, and win many souls for the Lord through His Spirit, power and grace.”
“Some wish to live within the sound of church and chapel bell.
I want to run a rescue shop within a yard of hell!”
“The church must send or the church will end.”
The book of Acts lays a critical foundation for the work of missions.
1) The Reason for Missions: Jesus commanded his followers to spread the Gospel. We have a message which the world needs to hear.
2) The Power for Missions: The Holy Spirit has been given to the church. God has given us everything we need to accomplish the task – we have no excuses.
3) The Catalyst for Missions: A commitment to prayerfully following the leading of the Holy Spirit is essential.
4) The Enemies of Missions: The spread of the Gospel was opposed by the Jewish religious leaders and by pagans.
5) The Universality of Missions: The Gospel is for both Jews and Gentiles (non-Jews. There are no boundaries of any kind.
“If a commission by an earthly king is considered an honor,
how can a commission by a Heavenly King be considered a sacrifice?”