These are some thoughts my students and I developed in a recent Psalms class.
- Don’t rush through your prayer time.
- Schedule a time to devote to prayer.
- Avoid distractions.
- Keep an outward focus in prayer (on God and on others).
- Think deeply about who God is.
- Realize that God does hear your prayers.
- Develop a prayer list to prevent prayer-time brain-freeze.
- Pray specifically. Ask people how you can pray for them.
- Be honest with God.
- Pray even when you don’t feel it. God will bless your obedience.